Travel Light | Beyond Clothing
I write a lot about how and why I love to travel light. It seems I’m not alone it this practice since one of my all-time most read posts is How to Pack for 2 weeks in Europe in a Carry-On. In that post I spell out every detail of what I took on a 2 week trip to Europe. I find there are a lot of bloggers writing “travel light” posts but only partially including the contents on their luggage and not disclosing the entirety. This is not that helpful when are actually go to pack those items and realize your carry-on if nearly full and you have yet to include toiletries and SHOES, the shoes can be the tipping point.
Today, I’m going to give you more detailed information on how I streamline toiletries when packing for 2 nights to 2 weeks. With links to products that have saved me time, space and hassle through security. That is part of this biggest work around, making sure you are clear through security especially when traveling for more than a few days.
I’d love to hear about your travel-hacks. The ones that save you time and space in your carry-on. I’m always on the hunt for fresh ideas to keep organized while traveling.
What’s in my toiletries case?
Traveling Light (for real!)
Make-up – this only changes by two items when I travel for casual mountains or beaches or a big event – I will drop in an eyeliner and an eye shadow, the rest remains the same.
- Skin Feels Good – My favorite new tinted sunscreen goes on light, but with coverage equal to foundation, it’s life changing! Such a space saver to not bring 2 different products too.
- Mascara – Couldn’t live without it anywhere, except backpacking. Every ounce counts backpacking!
- Lipgloss – I am a lip gloss girl, but sub lipstick here if that’s more your thing.
- Eyebrow – You guys may not need this, but my brows are disappearing, especially in the summer when they lighten, drives me crazy!
Skin Care – Keep it simple here.
- Cleanser – This cleanser doesn’t dry out skin, easily cleans even the most waterproof mascara, and leaves by skin feeling fresh – smells lovely too. No need to bring along an extra make-up removing product. I buy a 2 oz for travel and an 8oz for home.
- Serum – A friend introduced me the Rodan+Fields products. These combo Retinal and Vitamin C products have helped even out my skin so much that I wouldn’t want to leave them at home. Luckily they come in small tubes I can take anywhere. Don’t let their size fool you though, they last for months.
Body + Hair –
- Sunscreen – While I can’t say enough great things about the double-duty sunscreen I use on my face, this is my go-to for the rest of me and the kids. If I’m going to be gone longer than 3 days, I pack a 3oz. size in each of the kids bags too.
- Hair Care – I only bring shampoo + conditioner is I’m traveling for more than 3 days or have a particularly important event to attend. There is a lot of talk among women about shampooing frequency. Only washing your hair 2x per week actually helps your hair produce less oil. The irony is that you have to get through an oily period to start down this road.
- Moisturizer – Old fashioned girl here. I’ve been using this product my whole life and love it after sun exposure.
You can find many of these products including my current favorite toiletry pouch in The Simple Proof Shop. So many beautiful items to use while traveling and at home.